Septic arthritis is a painful infection that occurs in a joint. The infection is spread from germs that travel throughout your bloodstream from another part of your body. Septic arthritis can be the result of a number of causes, including penetrating injuries, such as a bite or trauma, staph infections, and more.
Who is Susceptible to Septic Arthritis?
You are more susceptible to septic arthritis if:
- You have existing joint disorders, such as osteoarthritis, rheumatoid arthritis, gout, or lupus
- You are using medication that weakens your immune system
- Your skin is fragile and breaks easily, such as from eczema or psoriasis
- You have a weak immune system
- You have experienced joint trauma from an animal bite, cut, or puncture wound
Symptoms of Septic Arthritis
Septic arthritis symptoms include:
- Extreme discomfort
- Skin that is warm to the touch
Septic arthritis symptoms can come about very quickly, so if you notice a sudden change in your ability to perform everyday activities due to extreme discomfort, swelling, or the other symptoms mentioned above, then it is important to seek treatment as soon as possible. Your primary doctor will perform a diagnosis that may include lab work and more.
During your treatment, it is also important to consider chiropractic treatment as well as physical therapy. At BodyPro Chiropractic & Sports Medicine, our team specializes in helping patients who suffer from septic arthritis. Our approach is natural, non-surgical, and highly effective when caught early. Contact our team today to schedule an appointment with a septic arthritis specialist in Los Angeles.